Last year I posted several videos on thermocline effects on fishing, fishing with a thermocline and lake turnover. When I put that series of videos and the articles together I had not yet started Catfishing Radio and was limited with the videos to short pieces of information due the limitations we had on our Youtube channel at the time. Since then I have continued to get questions about thermocline and catfishing with a thermocline.
You can go back and watch those old videos but since I continue to get so many questions on thermocline this summer I decided to cover it in a podcast where I was not faced with the time constraints I had when I initially put together this video series last year.
Catfishing Radio Show Announcements.
- Check out our products page for information on our e-books and other online training products. The proceeds from these products are how we support the show and the website and continue to provide the free catfishing information and the podcast.
- We now have apps for catfishing radio, check out the Catfishing Radio Android App and the Catfishing Radio iPhone App.
- Make sure you take a few minutes to stop by and check out our survey and help us better understand what type of information you are looking for in regards to fishing for catfish as well as what format you prefer on the website.
- Team Catfish is a sponsor of this episode of Catfishing Radio, check them out at the Team Catfish website. They have a full line of products from catfish baits to fishing rods and hooks and a variety of other products. You can learn more about them and their products in episode 11.
Understanding Thermocline and It’s Effects On Fishing
In this show I go into great detail on the topic of thermocline and how it effects fishing. This has dramatic effects on fishing in the summer months if you are fishing in lakes and reservoirs, and not just catfishing. The presence of a thermocline effects your approach and where all species of fish will be in the water column during the summer months when a thermocline develops.
This is also probably one of the most misunderstood topics I discuss with anglers. It’s not super exciting stuff to learn about but it is very important to learn and understand if you will be fishing in the hot weather.
Part of being a successful fisherman is understanding the science behind the weather, water and how they both effect the fish and their patterns. It does not matter if you are rod and reel fishing for channel catfish or jug fishing for blue catfish, this is essential to know, essential to understand and essential to follow. When you better understand the way this effects the fish and the bait fish (like threadfin shad and gizzard shad) then you can better understand how you need to go about finding and catching fish.
Some of the topics covered in this show are:
- What a thermocline is
- Why it develops
- How it effects bait fish, fish and your approach
- How you go about locating a thermocline using a fish finder
- How you approach fishing when a thermocline is present
Articles and Videos Mentioned In This Show
- Thermocline effects on catfishing
- Catching catfish with a thermocline
- Lake turnover
- The “Catfishing The Thermocline” video I mentioned is available on the Learn To Catch Catfish Facebook Page
If you have a question about fishing for catfish, please give us a call on the Catfishing Radio hotline at 817-381-5604 and leave is a message on the hotline. We will work on getting your questions answered in a future episode of the podcast.
Once you finish listening to this show please stop by our iTunes page and leave is a star rating and write a quick review!